Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

66-57 Mississippi State beats Cats

I was at the game last night, thanks to my boss who has season tickets. It was a last minute thing though, she has a lot of work to do, and gave me her tickets the morning of the game.
I would suggest going to Kentucky.com for good game coverage, scores, etc. I thought I might cover some non-paper and technical stuff.
If the Cats win or if they don't, there is always such a great atmosphere in downtown Lexington before a game. That feel is here really before any event, but especially a basketball game.
It was a cold night, and a lot of snow (by Lexington standards) had covered the road hours before the game.
My buddy Rick and I got to the Rupp parking area a little after 5.
It was VERY cold. I don't think I have felt that kind of a chill in the air here ever.
We walked into Rupp, and took the walkway over to Quizno's. We wanted something quick, and we wanted to eat somewhere that would not be crowded. Quizno's did get crowded right after we got our subs. Some of the more unique restaurants downtown are packed before games, and its almost impossible to squeeze in.
We walked over to the mall area, walked around some, and then headed to the game.
I love the pyro show before the game when they announce the players! This is a lot of fun. They never show that on TV.
Another thing that seems to occur at about every game these days is the "boogie cam." I know they have this at a lot of sporting events everywhere. At Rupp, there is the boogie cam guy. I don't know if he has been given an official name or not, but man is he funny. He's just a lanky rubbery guy who always gets up and dances in the isle during the "boogie cam". He dances like absolutely no one is watching. The last few games I have been to, he is the star of the break. The cameras do get other people, but he is at least every other shot. He gets a lot of applause when he is done too. Pyro, three point shots, and the "Boogie Cam Guy" are expected high points at Cats games right now.
They have been bringing out UK sports alumni a lot too. Last night, 08 World Series Champ Joe Blanton was there. Getting my tickets on short notice meant I did not have my camera with me. I tried to get a pic with my cell phone.
Tim Couch was there a couple weeks ago. Oh, he follows me everywhere by the way! He was UKs QK when I was in the area, then he was working with the Browns after I move to Cleveland. Now we are both back in the area. Say what you will about him and his time with the Browns, but he is one of my favorite players. I can relate to him. I left the great state of Kentucky for Cleveland too. Looks like we both used good judgement at the end of the day.
Back to the game. The Cats looked bad. They looked scared. Seriously, there were a few passes where a player got hit by the ball. They seemed unaware that the ball might get thrown to them. They have seemed nervous about taking shots, really not just lately but all season. I hate to admit it and to agree with critics, but they simply look scared.
I don't know if the TV feed showed it, but the Herald Leader mentioned this morning that they were booed at the half. This was totally true. They were playing bad, and they were hearing it form the fans.
I hate seeing the good guys lose 3 in a row. This is a better team than that.
I still had fun last night, and it is a treat seeing a game at Rupp any time. I just wish I had my camera.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We have watched some good games together. I appreciate you inviting me. This one could have been better.