Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Snow and Ice in Kentucky!

I hope any reader (my mom) is doing OK right now. Looks like we might get a little more snow tonight. The state has been nailed by bad weather.
We were hit, but we did OK. One thing I can say about the northern states is they are prepared for bad weather and bad road conditions. If it snowed several inches in northern Ohio, as long as the snowing was pretty much over by 2 am or so, the roads would be fine in the morning. They would have them in shape in no time!
They kinda cleaned up the main roads here. They were usable, as long as you were careful. It took me a long, careful ride to get a couple miles out of my area though.
I didn't miss any work myself, but many did. There is an icy tree, scratching my office window. Taunting me.
My parents were secluded in the rural neck of the woods last week. No one heard from them for a couple of days. They have no land line and their cell phones went straight to voice mail. My cousin went out to check on them, but there are only really a couple of roads that lead to their area, and both were not accessible. No one had contact with them for a couple of days.
They finally did make it to my uncle's house (he's about half a mile down the road). They called everyone to let people know they were OK.
I didn't worry though, my dad hunts, farms, and does all of the out doorsy, wilderness stuff. I had no doubt they were doing fine. If they needed food he would go out and hunt a critter. If they needed heat, he would go out and hunt a fire.

No comments: