Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Henry Ford Museum, Detroit MI.



We recently drove through the Detroit area as we travelled through the mitten shaped state. We have been through Detroit several times over the last decade or so. I have to admit, it is generally not my 1st choice when it comes to vacations. I have had a lot of fun in the city, but it is rough too, and I make that statement not just from what I have heard, but also from first hand experience. With that being said, it is still a lively town oozing with history and character.

A good friend who lives in the area offered to show us around recently. We drove around down town, walked around near the GM building, hit some malls and restaurants, and had a very nice time.

One thing I wanted to do on this trip that I meant to do on previous trips but never got around to was go to the Henry Ford Museum. I had heard the legends, but just never made it there. The Henry Ford Museum was a priority on this trip.

There are all sorts of ticket packages for the museum. I should say upfront that was decided to skip the whole Greenfield Village thing. I wanted to see it too, but time restrictions on this trip prevented it. A factory tour was also offered, but it sounded like a lot of video was used, plus the factory stuff was shut down while we visited. No real production type stuff was going on.

We spent the entire day here. The museum seems endless. I hate to talk about the stuff you always hear about, but I must. It is one thing to hear about certain exhibits at the Henry Ford, but it is something else to actually stand next to them.

When we first walked in we noticed the Presidential Limousines. Yes, there were more than the Kennedy and Reagan limos, but these are the two that stand out.

I remember being in elementary school and hearing that Reagan had been shot. It didn't really click with me what was going on, but I remember. We have all seen the video too.

JFK was before my time. Like Reagan we have all seen the video, we have heard what happened.

Anyway, both limos associated with the failed attempt to end Reagan's life and the Kennedy assassination are there. We were able to stand next to each one without a crowd around. It is really moving standing next to these cars.

The chair Lincoln was setting in at Ford's Theater when Booth shot him is on display too. It is in a glass case, but it is right there! You can feel the hair on your neck stand up as you look at it!

The bus Rosa Parks was on when she refused to give up her seat is on display. You can go in and sit in it! There is a cool book available in the gift shop about how that specific bus was found after decades of being forgotten. A guy was using it to store lumber on his property. The museum bought and restored it after tracking it down.

As a fan of road trips, I especially liked how the museum had some recreations of older hotel chain rooms. I love getting in the car and going. I love day trips, weekend trips, etc. I love hearing about (and seeing) relics related to road trip travelers when road tripping really took off.

There is an actual (non-functioning) diner too. Lamy's Diner, which was functioning at one time, is on display. You can walk through it.

The round, UFO looking Dymaxion House is here. It was a proposed mass produced type house at one time that never took off. It reminded me of a round trailer. Like many pieces on display at this museum, you can talk a walk through the house and check it out. The kind of "hands on" access here is unusual and appreciated!

I believe the oldest existing Wienermobile is also at the museum.

The Henry Ford has something I haven't seen anywhere else, but I would love to see this catch on - Mold-A-Rama. Throughout the museum, there are vending machines that make toys while you wait. Each plastic toy is associated with a display in the area. The toys are simple, one piece plastic injection molded. For $2 you can actually watch your Wienermobile, Abe Lincoln Bust, or another souvenir being made!!! I loved this, and brought back several cool plastic toys. They kind of remind me of the old Marx toys. I love elongated penny machines, and I am glad many places I visit have them. I would love to see "Mold-A-Rama" next to penny machines at every tourist stop!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I’m the Community Manager of Ruba.com. We’re building a website to highlight some of the most interesting places travelers around the world have discovered. We’ve read hundreds of blogs about Detroit and we think that this post is awesome! We’d love to highlight excerpts from your blog (assuming it’s OK with you of course) and to discuss other ways of tapping into your expertise if you are interested. I’m at erin[at]ruba.com.
Thanks! :)