Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Friday, April 24, 2009

Rosie's Diner, Rockford Michigan



I know, Michigan does not even touch Kentucky. We visited Jenn's family in the Grand Rapids area recently, and they told us about this. I am talking about THE Rosie's Diner.

When Jenn's uncle mentioned going to Rosie's Diner, a little memory from my past triggered something. At first, I thought the Bounty/Rosie's Diner commercials were made in the 70's. I just checked Wikipedia though and it looks like they ran from 1976-1990. Anyway, this is the same diner where those commercials were filmed. It was moved from New Jersey after those commercials to this location.

That's reason enough to make sure you hit this location on a trip through Michigan. That has to be one of the most well known commercials ever. When I heard that the actual diner where those commercials were filmed was near by, I had to see it.

Not only can you go and look at the diner, you can stop by for a meal! I had a turkey Reuben and Jenn and I shared a mild shake. Portions were generous and delicious. I swear, this may have been one of my best meals ever. I have had some good Reubens. In fact, I can't think of a time I have had a bad one. This was one of the best ever. The milk shake was the best ever. I'm not kidding. I challenge you to go to Rosie's Diner, get a milk shake, and tell me its not the best. Do it! NOW! You can't get something like this at a fast food place.

Rosie's is, like any diner, boxy. It is tight, and I did feel like I was going to slide off of my bench. That's my only criticism of the place. I would hate for them to fix that problem though, because then it would be a modern restaurant, and not a diner.

I didn't see anyone talking on a cell phone. Yep, if you tried to forget about modern conveniences you could fool yourself in to believing you were at Rosie's Diner 20 or 30 years ago. I love places like this. I tip my ball cap to the owners and management of Rosie's Diner for their sense of preservation... and good food.

No comments: