Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Old Cincinnati postcards

Hey, check out these old postcards I picked up recently! Man, I love postcards, old or new. I buy them whenever I travel, and I like finding old ones relating to towns I love. Unused ones, or used ones with a vintage postmark and a note from a friend are all great!

Here are some old linen ones of Cincinnati.

The top one is gorgeous, showing the city from as seen from the Kentucky side. It is funny, I have stood at this same point many times. The town still looks familiar, even without the stadiums staring back! I do not have a date for this one.

The middle card is titled "Interior of Union Terminal, Cincinnati, Ohio." The Terminal in Cincinnati is still a great resource for the town. It seems to be a bit of a local secret in a way to me, as a lot of people from outside of the area seem to know little about it. The back of the undated card reads, "The main concourse of the Union Terminal, built at a cost of $41,000,000, is semi-circular in shape, and the right and left hand sides of the dome contain the largest silhouette mosaics in the world, the left hand mural portraying the history of transportation, and the right hand, the growth of Cincinnati. It also contains information and ticket windows, retail shops, restaurant facilities, etc."

The bottom card, titled, "Concourse, Union Terminal, Cincinnati, Ohio" was used, and is postmarked 1942! Oddly, "free" is written where a stamp should go (though "place one cent stamp here" is printed on the card).

With the great linen texture on the cards, they look like vibrant small paintings. All would look great matted and framed!

No comments: