Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Old Postcards: Gabe's Tower in Owensboro

Well, Gabe's is still in Owensboro, but it is not as exciting as it must have been decades ago. All 3 of these postcards are similar on the back, noting a phone number for "Gabe's Inn" (we always called it "Gabe's Tower").

The back of one postcard boasts, "120 Deluxe Suites, Just Wonderful Food... Cocktails... Swimming Pool In The Sky, Roof Garden... Full Facilities for Banquets and Meetings..."

2 of the postcards note, "Located in the Friendliest Convention City in USA".

I cannot find a good photo of the old statue of Gabe at all, which was a landmark on its own at one time. The statue was waving, and as a kid, I always waved back.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gabe's statue resides on Burlew, west of old Hartford, in front of a mini storage facility. His coat is blue now, which I hear used to be red.

jimerado said...

Hey, thanks for stopping by my blog! YES! I do have a photo of him on this blog! I also submitted a pic and description to roadsideamerica.com! I know the guys running that site thought he was pretty cool!