Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Superman, the Cool Ectors Mall and monuments in Owensboro

Owensboro has statues everywhere! I don't know how long TD's has had "The Thinker" out front of the store, but it has been there for some time. I also don't know where he come from.

As Owensboro's most noticeable structures get knocked down or lay abandoned, I think back to their glory days. Gabe's Tower was, and is still an incredible structure for the town. Check out my other entry on the Gabe's postcards, but it still stands out.

I remember being a very young kid in Owensboro, and riding past there a lot. I remember being more impressed with the waving statue of Gabe in front of the hotel. I would always wave at him.

I was in Owensboro a bit ago, and I asked a friend about the old Gabe statue. I figured it may have been destroyed or something.

"Not so!" a friend told me! Gabe is still around.

Not far from Lincoln Mall, there he was, still waving behind a storage facility! He has aged, and he still has a 60s-70s look to him, but he was still big and amazing.

He was fenced in but you can still get a good look at him. I am not sure who owns him, but it hit me that he would look great downtown, near or inside of the museum! He is a great piece of Owensboro history.

My friend Rick Phelps has made several statues displayed inside and outside of the Cool Ector's Mall. Most noticeable outside of the shop are his huge Darth Vader cut out, and his Superman statue on the side parking lot. Superman is becoming a bit of a landmark in town. Rick said that it makes him proud to see dads taking pictures of their sons in front of the massive statue.

Inside of the Cool Ectors Mall, Rick has several other cool creations, including a Bat-Man Statue, and a cool pirate ship he made hangs from the ceiling!

And, on a more official level, there is the cool newer Buffalo statue in town too!

No comments: