Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Friday, April 30, 2010

Random thoughts on Friday

The weather is nice right now! I have been walking around, seeing things, and of course, going to some baseball games!

Check out my other blog for some ideas relating to minor league baseball. The state has 4 minor league teams in the state (and countless college teams). The weather is good and minor league baseball games are affordable!

I did get to see the Owensboro and the Lexington pro basketball teams last year. Both put on great shows. Lexington was stacked with former UK stars and Owensboro pepped the city up with good playing, and a fun show at the Sports Center (LOVED their mascot!). I am not sure of the future for either franchise. I thought Owensboro was drawing a respectable crowd. Lexington's team just didn't get the basketball headlines this year. I don't want to joke about their situation, but their were nights I thought about trying to go to a game, but I wasn't exactly sure where they would be playing. Both teams did well in the tournament and I hope they both hang on.

I hope arena football makes a come back in the area too. Lexington's Horsemen stuck around for several years and the team put on a 1st rate show at Rupp. They were drawing a few thousand fans a game and really looked like pros. There were rumors that they would make a come back, but those rumors seem to be fading.

I love taking little road trips on great days like these. Spending a day in E-Town, Paducah, Owensboro, Somerset, etc. sounds like a plan!

I am mentally thinking out some of the things around the state that I want to get around to doing. I haven't stopped by Horse Cave in some time. Florence and Covington will be on my travel plan list soon too.

I spent some time in Owensboro the other day. I really love the downtown area by the science museum. There is the museum and The Creme coffee shop, which is very cozy. This might be my favorite coffee shop in Kentucky. The place looks nice, and serves a good product. Next door to the Creme is a great little gift shop. The same people run a small movie theater above the gift shop that they rent out for parties. I am going to have to do a review of each soon, as they are both great additions to Owensboro.

Also in the same area is a cool photo/print & antique type store. It doesn't stand out, but they have some nice items. The shop has some nice framed photos of downtown and of the Executive Inn. It is funny, because the Big E has been gone less than a year, but it feels like it was there a much longer time ago. Check out the affordable Owensboro prints at this shop.

Oh, and I think there is a little horse race going on in Louisville this weekend. Keeneland is over in Lexington (I took some fun photos there this season that I will get up soon). I hope your horse does well at the Derby!

4 comments:

foxtwin said...

Sweet post, Jim. Can't you just sense a great summer approaching?

jimerado said...

YES! I am sure it will be great!

Tiffany said...

That's really neat. I will have to check out the coffee shop. Do you know if that shop has anything on Gabe's Tower? I find that place so interesting.

jimerado said...

Hey Tiffany, thanks for stopping by! This is a bit of an older post... I have several more recent posts about the Creme Coffee Shop, AND about the legendary Gabe's Tower! I have some photos and postcard scans too! let me know if you have trouble finding them on this blog....
Gabe's looks to still be in bad shape, which is very sad.