Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Kansas City MO
















Some friends who lived there before recently suggested that we take a trip with them to Kansas. Sure, we had never been there so what the heck. It was another state we could check off of our places to visit list.

Kansas City is a town that is underrated. We had a great time in the area.

I did not know that the area was so attractive. It is a physically pretty place in my books. The buildings are nice, there are some very nice monuments, and there are fountains, statues and art everywhere.

I will get an entry up about Hallmark soon, but the company is visible here. We visited their visitor center and had a great time.

I am guessing a lot of talented artists are here too, because I saw plenty of nice artwork on the buildings. Not amateur paintings, or places where the local middle school painted a mural. Quality work.

There is something about fountains. The area loves them. Many were very ornate.

One thing that amazed me was the Liberty Memorial. Sadly, it is closed on Mondays, and guess which day I had available to visit? Still, I saw it from the outside and my jaw dropped. Photos do not do justice to it. They started building it in 1921 and finished building it in 1926. Our friends told us that it had set pretty much abandoned and in bad shape for some time. It is fixed up now though. There are 2 Sphinx statues which hide their faces. they are also stunning.

The downtown area has a couple of glassed in pedestrian type bridges that connect several key buildings. This reminded me of Indianapolis some. Very nicely maintained, and very easy to use.
We spent some time at their great city market. You can see the skyline from there and it looks great. See my photo. Obviously, we weren't looking for vegetables on this day, but we found some fun nicknack's.

We spent a lot of time in the Crown Center area which is connected by the walkways, and home some unique food and shopping places.

No comments: