Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Roller Derby in Lexington





rocknrollergirls.com

I did not know until recently that Lexington (and several other areas) were doing roller derby again!

The Roller Girls of Central Kentucky have their matches at the Convention Center (part of the Rupp Arena complex).

I had a great time. This is a really fun event. The atmosphere was party like and family friendly at the same time. I saw a lot of kids, and a lot of older folks. All were friendly (the guy setting next to me explained the rules as he saw the confused look on my face).

Oh, there was a fun band playing, and hoola-hoopers (not sure if that is the right term) there to entertain too!

I still don't understand all of the rules, but I get how it works.

I have to admit that I expected more violence. I think most of us have watched old clips and think of roller derby as very aggressive. I thought there would be some elbows, clotheslines, maybe a few punches.

Those things did not happen. In fact, I was a bit impressed with the sportsmanship. One participant fell and it looked like she hit her head. All action stopped as professionals came to check on her. She was OK, and play continued. Otherwise, the sport seemed fairly scientific.

Check out their web site and go to a game! Tickets were around $10, and they had a large enthusiastic crowd. Merch was unique, cool, and affordable (I bought a nice t-shirt with the team logo for $15- the logo is awesome!).

I know the area is familiar with various sports teams coming... and going. I do hope that the Lexington area gives this team the support it deserves so that they will stick around!

No comments: