Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Buffalo Trace- Frankfort, KY


















I guess I should mention up front that I don't drink. It is one of those things that I have personally never done.


I have had a few sips here and there. We once toured a historic home, and a wine tasting was part of the tour. I took a sip of whatever it was in my glass and it hurt! I was done at that moment.


I know it is very un-Kentuckian of me to say this, but I have had similar problems when trying bourbon.


Still, I think the whole Kentucky Bourbon experience is something to be proud of. The time, effort, and really the artistry that goes in to it is something very unique.


I am not one to have a small glass (or pint, or shot...... I have no idea how these things are measured) of the beverage but I do like Rebecca Ruth Bourbon Balls. Oh, and Keeneland serves a desert using Bourbon that I have to get each time I am there!


Still, even someone like me who does not consume alcohol can enjoy a tour of Buffalo Trace.


We have done several different tours of the facility in Frankfort, and we have enjoyed each one. There is a standard tour where you actually get to see bottles getting filled, capped, and packaged which is very cool.


Another tour they offer is the "Hard Hat" Tour. I know reservations are needed for this one, as they like to keep the groups small (about 6 were in our group when we took this one). This tour takes you through the production areas. We were also taken out on a balcony area over looking the main buildings!


Buffalo Trace offers a "Ghost Tour" too. I had no interest in taking that tour. JUST KIDDING! I will have a separate entry on that tour soon.


And, like the other bourbon tours in the area, all of the tours are free! They do have a gift shop, and I think it is always appropriate to patronize the gift shop after a free tour. There is no pressure too, but you will want at least a shirt or cap or something.

Buffalo Trace has some cool items in their gift shop. We bought some root beer that they offer non-drinkers at the tasting. Bourbon items exclusive to the gift shop can be found here. We picked up a bottle made with an uncirculated buffalo nickle for a friend in Michigan. It is signed, and can only be purchased at Buffalo Trace!


I have to mention each of our VERY memorable tour guides we have had at Buffalo Trace. Freddy, DW, and Shelley all seemed excited about Buffalo Trace, and gave all sorts of fun pieces of info. Their excitement about Buffalo Trace was infectious.


I really love how the product is made and aged. I learned about how early on, they would experiment with aging and barrels. Placement in the warehouses affects the product. The entire process is fascinating.

The fact that Buffalo Trace offers several different tours, AND has a Christmas light driving tour going on there this season, gives it a real edge.































































































































No comments: