Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Friday, December 30, 2011

Random Thoughts On Friday

I do hope that everyone had a good Christmas out there!

Mine was very nice.

It was odd too, in that the weather has been great here in Kentucky. On Saturday, I did some driving and wore only a light flannel shirt. I took a jacket but did not need it. I like the good weather, but it is too sunny for the season!

You may be able to tell from the blog that I have an appreciation for postal history. Complain about it if you want, but our postal service does some amazing stuff.

I made a point this Christmas season to drive to some of the little post offices that have special postmarks for the holiday. I drove to Nazareth and Bethlehem in Kentucky, and I drove to the Indiana cities of Bethlehem and Santa Claus.

I will get some photos up from those trips soon, as driving to small out of the way towns is just a fun thing to do.

Each town was very cool, we talked to some great postmasters and I must make it back to Santa Claus and Bethlehem Kentucky. We passed through Hanover (Woody's home town on Cheers!) and Madison in Indiana. We have to make it back to these two towns. Madison looked like a good place to find a B & B and just walk around the downtown streets some weekend.

I talked to some friends the other day, and we decided that this was a Christmas of coincidences. One friend got a purse from one friend, and a matching pocket book from another friend, who did not know about the first friends gift. I had a similar coincidence on Christmas.

We went to my sister's house in Owensboro. It was good seeing family and all. We exchanged presents and I opened a small box from my sister. In the box I found a Billy Bob doll from Showbiz Pizza.

Showbiz Pizza is one of my retro indulgences. I loved the franchise and remember the very first time I went to one when I was very young. The place was so over the top. Showbiz had a cheesy mouse competitor that eventually won out, but Chuck was never as cool as a keyboard playing gorilla and a banjo playing bear. By the way, if you have any photos of the old Showbiz Pizza in Owensboro or Evansville PLEASE send me scans so I can put them up on this blog!

So- back to my Christmas coincidence. I almost purchased a Billy Bob doll the week before but decided to wait a little while. I am glad I did because of my sister's gift!

No comments: