Mackinac Bridge

Mackinac Bridge
Mackinac Bridge, taken from the ferry on the way to Mackinac Island.

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Art O Mat


OK, I think I have mentioned before that I love the penny smashing machines at most tourist stops.  You know, you put 51 cents in and the machine presses your penny with a design relating to the tourist attraction.  I don't get everyone one I can, but I do try to get one from every stop we make.

I also love Mold-A-Rama.  Mold-A-Rama is not too common though.  Some tourist stops still have them.  Usually for a couple of bucks, you get a one piece plastic toy relating to a tourist attraction.  The vending machine actual molds your item as you watch!

Well, I think I might have a new favorite vending machine!

I found this vending machine at Rock City!

It looks like the "Art o mat" people have taken those cool old cigarette machines and retooled them to sell original art!

For $5, you can buy a small, original artwork!  I picked a 2 inch by 2 inch painting of the sun by Sarah Whittington (see photo).

I thought $5 for such a cool little piece of art was a bargain!  I regret not buying a few more.  In fact, I am planning another trip to Rock City, and I plan on saving up some fivers JUST to spend on Art-o-mat.

I love the fact that they are using old cigarette vending machines for this project too!  They are retro, they are a bit taboo, AND I just feel so darn cool using one.  Pulling the nob on the old smoke machines feels rebellious.  I feel like I am doing something I am not supposed to do.

The Art o mat people obviously are doing this as a labor of love.  At $5 a pop, they can't be making a huge profit.  I think the Art o mat people must just love getting nice, original artwork out there for anyone to appreciate!  I hope we see more Art o mat vending machines in more places!


No comments: