Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Chattanooga Landmarks

As you can probably tell from this blog, I am really starting to like Chattanooga.  Each time I go down there, I find something else cool that I didn't notice the time before.
 
I read a lot of travel books relating to spots on the map I like, and I really like this particular book.
 
"Chattanooga Landmarks" by Jennifer Crutchfield is a VERY complete book covering the town's history and the landmarks that have defined it.

I would love to see more books like this made for other locations.  It is thorough.  You may be fooled by the low numbered 150 pages of information, but those pages are packed.  No large letters with lots of room between lines to fill this one out.  It will take you more than one setting to read Crutchfield's book.

Chattanooga Landmarks is broken up by sections in the area (there is even one appropriately devoted to Georgia) and then the most significant sites are covered.

I love visiting the older, dirtier, and spookier sites in an area when I travel.  I like old libraries, store fronts and other historic sites.  Some travel books often neglect that sort of thing.  Not this one.  In fact, if you are thinking about a trip to the area, I would strongly suggest that you skip the questionable books describing a handful of "haunted locations" in the area and go with this one.

I would love to see some more books written in this format.  Jennifer Crutchfield has written a great, complete yet easy to read book on the history and historic sites of Chattanooga that is perfect for road trippers.
 


No comments: