Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Old Talbott Tavern in Bardstown

Some friends planned a weekend trip to Bardstown and we were able to stay at Old Talbott Tavern!

I have hung out here a lot over the years, but this was my first time getting a room, and spending the night. 

I have stopped by here many times over the last several decades.  One of my fondest memories of driving back and forth between Owensboro and Berea involves stopping here to meet my old pal Eric for a couple of hours to break up the drive.

These days, I enjoy getting down to the Tavern for some Burgoo!  This is the only place outside of Owensboro that does it right!

Concerning our room- we were warned when we reserved the room that it was literally right over the bar.  They told us that we would be able to hear the music in the bar clearly.  To the credit of Old Talbott Tavern, they were very open about this.  AND they were right.

Luckily, country singer Ashley McBryde was playing in the bar, and we were able to relax in our room, and hear her perfectly.  It was an extremely pleasant evening!  In fact, if another performer that I liked played in the bar, I might consider getting the same room JUST to listen to them in the room!

Sadly, she would take a break now and then, and the bar would play something loud, and not as melodic.

Our room was, well, OK.  It was not as cozy and charming as a room at the Golden Lamb.  In fact, it didn't have the cool, historic vibe that the rest of the Tavern has, but that was OK.  We were still happy to be there.

AND I think that is the thrill of being at the Old Talbott Tavern- just being there.  Hanging out at a place where travelers have stayed since the 1770s.








No comments: