Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Balagula Theatre in Lexington's "1984"

Balagula Theatre has been doing a great job of putting on some very interesting plays.

I have been catching their plays when they perform adaptations of my favorite books and 1984 might be my all time favorite.  PLUS, they did a great performance of one of my other all time favorites, Fahrenheit 451 (I mentioned that on this blog too) previously.

Unlike their performance of Fahrenheit, 1984 was much more stripped down, with a very simple set, and simple costumes.  It worked great.

In the play, the main character, Winston, has already been arrested, and he is defending himself to some government officials.  As those officials question him, they act out the events that have lead to Winston's situation and his actions against Big Brother.

The play was not what I expected, but it was still extremely well done.  With the use of characters not in the book (the government officials) telling the story with Winston, you get a new perspective on 1984.

Anyway, I really liked what Balagula did with the book, and I look forward to seeing more of their plays in the future.

http://www.balagula.com/

No comments: