Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Owensboro Downtown by the Ohio River







I was able to swing through Owensboro recently!

My trips to the town where I originated have become scarce lately.  Not because I don't want to go there, but just because other things come up.

I feel so proud of the town each time I go back these days.  AND that hasn't always been the case.

I was heart broken when Owensboro missed out on an opportunity to bring a Frontier League baseball team in several years ago.  It looked like they wanted it, but other towns obviously wanted it more.  I won't even bring up the couple of low level pro-sports teams that have not been able to make it in the area.

I could go on with other issues I have had with Owensboro, but I won't.  I feel in my heart that the area is trying hard right now to make downtown special again.

I walked around on a Thursday night, and there was a very nice, family friendly vibe going on.  I saw a lot of moms, dads, and children playing in the spectacular new park.  I personally enjoyed coffee at my favorite coffee shop, The Crème before making a couple of laps around the area.  I noticed some well maintained working fountains, lots of light, and live music!

Yes, live music on a Thursday night, right by the Ohio River!  An unbelievable young duo was playing.  When I first heard them, I thought I was hearing a recording as the music was so perfect and polished.  If you have read my blog for a while (hi mom!), you know that I am a music snob.  Well, this music got my attention and I found out later that one of the teenagers was the daughter of an old school pal of mine.  Though I felt VERY old at that moment, I was happy to see QUALITY music being performed here!

This was my first time seeing the new hotel and convention center that have pretty much replaced the old Executive Inn.  Man, I have some great memories of the Big E and nothing can replace it (which, honestly, is probably a very good thing).

A friend in Lexington told me that he used to have to stay at the Executive Inn for work, and it was like staying at the hotel in "The Shining".  It was huge and very vacant.  I think I speak for everyone when I say that, when the E went down, it was very dated.

So, the new hotel looks more inviting to me.  Sure, it is a chain hotel, but it looked cozy, and appropriate for downtown Owensboro.  I noticed guests mingling out front, and enjoying the walk downtown.  It had a very friendly Western Kentucky feel.

AND, think about this....  especially if you travel a lot- how many times have you stayed at a hotel where the coolest think within walking distance is a Waffle House or Burger King?  Well, at the new hotel in Owensboro, you can walk around the great park by the river.  In maybe 5 minutes you can walk to a couple of museums, a great coffee shop and MANY nice local restaurants.

I don't want to jump the gun or anything in my excitement, but if the area keeps going in a nice, positive direction, I could see this becoming another Chattanooga.  OK, maybe a mini-Chattanooga.

I know, I know, Owensboro would need some world class museums, an aquarium, and a lot more history to compete with a Chattanooga.  But, if someone started a riverboat dinner cruise, and added a few other nice additions....  maybe.

I did talk to some friends who have been around longer than I have, and they talked about how downtown is kind of getting to be like it once was.  I don't want to comment much on that concept, but...... as a community, why do we let nice things- like a beautiful, hopping downtown area- slip away like that?  Talk amongst yourselves.

I felt different this time when I was in my hometown.  I felt really happy about everything I saw.  I felt like the town was trying again, and it was trying hard to be better.











No comments: