Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Saturday, September 6, 2014

The Civil War Monitor

I have been on a magazine kick lately.  I don't want to say that I was feeling nostalgic about magazines, in our internet heavy, kindle carrying times, but I realized that I have been neglecting the magazine racks at my favorite book store!

So, I picked up the Civil War Monitor the other day.  This is a great magazine on many levels.

I loved the photos in this one!  There is an amazing article, full of large photos showing Civil War soldiers who had limbs amputated.  I don't mention this in a morbid way......  it was nice seeing the proud faces of the soldiers, and I liked reading about how many were doing OK afterwards.

I am sure many of you remember hearing about the recently discovered photo of the Abraham Lincoln funeral procession in New York City.  There is a brief write up on the picture in this issue (and the photo is shown in a nice large version).

Plus, there are many stories about various battles, all are informative but brief.  I feel like there are some stories in this issue that I might want to find more info about later.  Time to buy more books!

I really want to stress how much I liked the treatment to photography in the Civil War Monitor.  These aren't cheaply found, pixelated pics robbed from the web like other magazines might be tempted to use.  This is a quality, well put together magazine!

No comments: