Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Monday, July 13, 2015

Wheeling Coffee & Spice Co. - Wheeling West Virginia

I am so happy to be able to mention this OLD and HISTORIC coffee shop in Wheeling West Virginia!  If you are in that area, stop by Wheeling Coffee and Spice Company!

I LOVE a place with exceptional history.  In fact, I can't think of another coffee company with as much of a past.

let me mention A FEW of Wheeling Coffee and Spice Co.'s links to years the past.

1.  The company was established in 1895.
2.  The wholesale and retail company are still in their original buildings.
3.  Coffee roasters manufactured in 1884 are STILL USED for single batch roasting!
4.  Their coffee can be purchased in the same one pound bags designed in 1931 (by the way, these are some ATTRACTIVE looking bags with an authentic old look.  Mine will be framed after I use up the coffee I bought while there!)
5.  Columns on the outside of the shop STILL HAVE "Sweeney's & Co Wheeling VA. 1858".  VA as in Virginia, not West Virginia.

These facts are mentioned on their website, but I had to mention them here too.  There is just something exceptional about being able to drink coffee with all of these links to history.  Not to sound too sappy, but I almost feel like I am sharing a cup with the old souls from this area....  Civil War vets, coal and railroad workers.....  Getting beans here is very special.

The actual coffee shop area, conversely, is vibrant and updated.  They take pride in having an up to date, clean and cozy place to enjoy coffee.

I would love to hear form anyone who knows of other coffee shops with this much history. 

I think it goes without saying that this spot gets my highest possible recommendation.  Fellow history buffs, I feel like any trip to Wheeling MUST include a stop and purchase here.




No comments: