Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Sunday, November 26, 2017

Luray Caverns- Luray Virginia

There are several notable show caves that we were near on our recent trip.  We have been to many, and I enjoy hitting them, but I have learned that squeezing more than one in over a few days can be rough.  In the past, we have burned ourselves out on seeing caves.  So, we agreed that seeing one would be appropriate on this trip.

So we visited the very famous Luray Caverns.

This area is a few amusement park rides and a souvenir shop or two away from being another Gatlinburg.  I had no idea that the land around the cave had been so built up.  AND, there is a Cooter's Place nearby (you know I stopped there!  More on that later).

Seriously though, there is a large parking lot for the cave, and then all sorts of distractions on the way there.  Fudge, food, etc.


We made our way to the ticket area and bought our two tickets.  It was over $50 for the two of us to see the cave.  I am going to have to think about it, but that might be the most I have paid for a cave tour.  As a side note, after our tour, I did notice that NO ONE tipped our very good tour guide.  The guide did make a brief comment about gratuities were appreciated..... but I think that after the ticket price sticker shock many experienced, a tip was sort of off the table.

In defense of the cave and its ticket price, your admission does include admission to a couple of museums on site, including a toy museum, a car museum, and a history museum.  We went through all of them and they were all nice....  but I doubt ANYONE goes to Luray to see their toy museum as a main attraction.  These are all nice side museums, but people are here for the cave.


They do have a very interesting snake line system to go in.  You buy your ticket, then you get in line to go through the cave.  The line appeared deceptively long, but it keeps moving.  We waited maybe 15 minutes after we bought our ticket until we are in the cave.  They keep tours moving and constant.  A group lines up, goes into the cave, then a guide leads you on.  It is very efficient.

While waiting in line, they do the green screen souvenir photo.  This is a total shame, as the cave is so beautiful.  They are missing out on a really cool photo opportunity here.  AND, their photo package is almost $40!!!  For a photo of you NOT EVEN IN THE CAVE!  No thanks.

Not to beat a dead horse, but we have been to several caves lately that are doing the souvenir photo INSIDE OF THE CAVE!  I tip my hat to those caves....  AND I buy the photo every time.

BUT, back to the main attraction here.  The cave.

What a cave it is!  Check out my other entries on caves in this blog.  I have been to MANY.  I have enjoyed everyone of them.  The cave in my own back yard (Mammoth) will always be my favorite, but Luray IS, WITHOUT QUESTION the most beautiful one I have been through.   It is exceptionally beautiful.  I must say that, once we saw it, we felt OK about the ticket price.


There are so many formations, and so many great chances to get a picture....  The cave is so photogenic.

At one place, there is a very small body of water.  Literally 1-2 inches, and it almost perfectly reflects the formations above it.  Everyone on our tour was impressed with this.

Towards the end of the tour, you get to see (and hear) the cave organ.  We were told that pop artist Gotye recently used the organ on an album.

This is an amazing cave...  and though I found some small things not exactly perfect here, this IS a must see in a lifetime cave.










No comments: