Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Tuesday, November 28, 2017

New Market Battlefield State Historic Park and Virginia Museum of the Civil War- Virginia

After our visit to Lexington Virginia, we knew we had to make it to the New Market Battlefield State Historic Park at some point.

AND, at this location, is the Virginia Museum of the Civil War.

Its $10 to see the museum and to check out the Battlefield. 

We ended up spending more time in the museum than we expected!  It was very thorough!  They show a documentary on the "Field of Lost Shoes".

I mentioned this before, but the Battle of New Market is known for the fact that students from the Virginia Military Institute fought in this battle.

I really enjoyed the museums collection, as they had some very quality pieces.  I saw some uniforms and arms in great shape.

Also, after seeing the MASSIVE painting by Julian Scott in the Vermont State House, I almost feel like I know the guy.  You KNOW that I enjoyed the privilege of getting to see some more ORIGINALS of Scott's on display here.











No comments: