Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Friday, March 16, 2018

Lexington Comic Con in Lexington Kentucky

HEY!  I went to the Lexington Comic Con again this past weekend.  When I lived up north, we used to hit the Motor City Comic Con in Detroit, and we went to several other cons in Cleveland and Pittsburgh.  I can honestly say that the Lexington one is drawing some of the biggest crowds I have ever seen for a convention like this.

We did go on Saturday...  and I will likely not make that mistake again.  The lines were pure chaos.  They were trying to do the whole metal detector screening (I heard they abandoned doing that later in the day) but it was a mess on Saturday morning.  Still, it was fun, and it was worth dealing with the chaotic lines.

I kept it simple, and only bought a few small things.  I did find a couple of dealers that I loved.

One comic creator I talked to (and bought some comics from) was Adam Meadors who's put out a cool old style western comic book called Among the Willows.  It is set after the Civil War and is a very pleasant read.  I will be looking forward to more issues.

I picked up some cool stickers, postcards, and buttons from a unique artist who goes by Pizzaface.  Check out her site...  She does some cool retro art of images of old Halloween masks.

We briefly walked through the autograph area on the floor of Rupp Arena, but it was packed.  AND, the whole autograph thing is a bit odd these days.  $30-$95 for an autograph?  Double that if you want a photo with the person?  To each their own, but I put that sort of thing in the ridiculous column.

The costumes were pretty cool.  I LOVED the Pirates characters walking around.  See my bottom photo.  The little boy on his dad's shoulders was offered all of the rum he could drink to join the pirate crew.  There were some great Star Wars characters too.


No comments: