Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Friday, April 6, 2018

Boone Tavern Food in Berea Kentucky

So, while we stayed at Boone Tavern, we had a couple of meals in their dining room.  Check out the photos!

The top photo is of the spoon bread, which is kind of a big deal in Berea. 

The second photo is a fried green tomato salad type of thing I had.  Get this if you go!  It was very nice.

Under the photo of the wedge salad is the chicken flakes in a birds nest.  That has been on the menu forever, and is about as famous as the spoon bread.  My wife had that this time and loved it.

The next photo is of the steak I had.  I'm still thinking about that right now.  It was an incredible meal.

Next there are some photos of desserts and they were as good as they look.  Plus, there are a couple of photos from breakfast too.

We did notice some changes here, since we worked here in the mid 90s.


They serve alcohol now, that is the biggest change.  Also, the student servers wear a nicer black uniform.  When I worked there, we wore black pants and a white shirt and white jacket.

At dinner, they used to go around with a huge relish tray.  I know when I worked there, I mostly went around carrying that tray and giving out the little tiny corn cobs and other stuff that was standard on the tray.  I don't think they do this at all now.

I carried around the basket of spoon bread a lot too.  Everyone wanted that.  Back then, we would offer some relish or bread to guests when they would come in, then we would hang around.  If someone needed more they would signal to us.

They have done some remodeling to the dining room, and it is not as big as it used to be.

This wasn't a very popular job back in the 90s, unless you were into the hotel restaurant management major.  They had you on the schedule a lot.  I remember feeling like I never left there when I worked there as a freshman!  My future wife loved it though, and she ended up staying all four years.









No comments: