Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Thursday, May 10, 2018

Driving around Owensboro

So, I grew up in Owensboro, and spent my first 18 or so years there.  I do love getting back when I can, and I feel like I don't get there enough.  I do consider the hours that I get to spend there very valuable.  I am lucky that both of my parents are still living, and they live near Owensboro.

I will say that the drive gets longer every time I make it.....  and I have driven back and forth between Owensboro and Lexington/Berea probably hundreds of time.

Still, it is a treat getting to spend time in my home town, but I am really getting to a point where I am noticing changes.  My favorite hang outs in Owensboro weren't even there when I left.  I love the coffee shops in town.  Even though the Crème just celebrated it's TENTH ANNIVERSARY, it is still very new to me. 

I love the fact that where the old Noble Romans used to be (in front of K-Mart), there is now a PizzAroma.  AND I liked the fact that there was a coffee shop there at one point in between the two businesses occupying the building.


Parrish has totally changed.  I drove by there, and I simply did not recognize any of the businesses.  I drove by the old Kuester's Hardware too.  I am glad that, even though it has been a long time, the sign is still up!

There is the new, rebuilt McDonalds in town now.  I stopped by there briefly.  It is a pleasant place for fast food.

Oh, and I always get some burgoo and mutton at Old Hickory when I am in town.  They are celebrating their 100th anniversary this year!

When I am in the area, the thing I enjoy doing the most is simply driving around out in the country.  Some of the roads are pretty skinny, and my car can detect when you cross a center line, or hug the middle of the road.  I do both of those things on some of those curvy rural roads.  My car will literally suggest that I take a break if I do too much of that.  I do appreciate the suggestion when it pops up.

No comments: