Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Friday, August 31, 2018

Concert Memories: Curnutte and Maher, Berea, KY

Curnutte and Maher were kind of a country rock duo that toured mostly college campuses back in the mid 90s.  I remember them coming through Berea a few times while I was there.  They are probably mostly known for having one of their songs covered by the country band, River Road.  That band had their only top 40 hit, "Nickajack", thanks to Curnutte and Maher.

These two guys could really make a lot of music for a duo.  I still play them a lot on my ipod, and MANY of my fellow Berea Alumni still talk about how fun their shows were.

They have a very special place in my personal memory....  as the first time that me and my future wife hung out together (before we started dating) was at one of their shows.  Curnutte and Maher came through town again, after I started dating the girl I would eventually marry.  She and I were talking to Steve Curnutte for a while after that show, and we told him that story.  I was telling him how much we enjoyed the duo's 2 CDs we had.  Well, there was 1 CD of their's we didn't have, and he gave it to us before we left for the night!  It was a very sweet gesture.

We really hoped they would make it big.  They didn't, but like I said, a lot of my college friends still love their music.  There are still some Bereans (my wife and I included) that consider these guys legends.

No comments: