Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Concert Memories: Survivor and the Byrds, Executive Inn Owensboro, KY, 05/29/1993

Survivor and the Byrds at the Executive Inn in Owensboro, 1993.  This was one of the more odd shows I remember going to.

My grandma used to live walking distance from the Big E.  My buddy Vernon used to work pretty close too, so I would park at my grandma's house, and me and Vernon would walk to shows at the Executive Inn together.

Seeing shows at the Executive Inn always had an odd, formal feel to me.  Your party would get to the main entrance, and then someone would take you to a seat at a large table with other people.  Cocktail waitresses would take your drink order.  Actually, it was a more pleasant experience than at other venues.

This was just a strange combination....  The Byrds and Survivor.  AND, this was a later fake-Byrds band.  They had ONE OF the drummers from the vintage band.  Of course there was no McGuinn or Crosby.  They played the old songs, but they were different.  I remember the guitar player playing a solo with his mouth.

Survivor sounded great, and played all of their hits.

This is one of those shows that I am really glad I got to go to because of the its oddness, and because I got to see that short lived "Byrds" lineup.

Also, I remember reading in a record magazine, that there was an Italian import (bootleg) featuring this line up of the Byrds.  If anyone has any info on that CD, I would love to hear about it.

No comments: