Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Tuesday, December 11, 2018

"Fort Pillow" by Harry Turtledove

I read the very well written novel "Fort Pillow" by Harry Turtledove recently.

Whew, where do I start........

Harry Turtledove is a prolific author whose work I have avoided.  I know he has turned out a bunch of alternate history novels.  I DO think this stuff (alternate history) is fascinating, but I worry that, if I read it, I might confuse it in my mind for actual history.  You know, you might be talking about the Civil War with someone and remember reading about something that happened in a battle.  Well, did you read that in an actual book about the battle, or did you read that in a "what if scenario" book?  I could see me getting really confused.

Anyway, that's just my thoughts on that.

I might have to rethink that opinion some though.  After reading this book, I have to say that I really enjoy Mr. Turtledove's writing style, and the way he thinks about (and writes about) a historic event that is historic, but the exact details are uncertain.  "Fort Pillow" is fiction- Harry is speculating about how things happened at this battle.  Accounts exist from two opposite sides, and both sides without a doubt exaggerated and downplayed details to fit their needs.  I think Harry Turtledove gives a very honest telling (considering all available sources) of what probably happened.  Indeed, this work of historic fiction may be the most honest account of the event.

The book gives the story one of the most barbaric defeats that the south handed the Yankees in the Civil War.  It was easily one of the most merciless beatings dished out by the South.

Current history has focused on the fact that the southern forces were headed by Nathan Bedford Forrest (former slave trader and one of the Confederacy's most feared leaders) who attacked Fort Pillow.  The Tennessee Fort was manned mostly by African American soldiers, and Union soldiers from Tennessee.  Both groups were not exactly loved by Forrest's men.

The story gets bad quickly, as command of the Fort fumbles several opportunities to surrender (yes, I did just say "opportunities to surrender") and the Union soldiers find themselves in the perfect storm of an angry enemy's wrath.

Turtledove tells the story of what probably happened during the battle, using accounts from both sides, and balancing them out logically.  He devotes a few pages at the end to discuss the known facts, and how some accounts must have been exaggerated, and used as propaganda.

No comments: