Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Friday, December 28, 2018

Point Pleasant West Virginia again

 A friend recently told me that he had been reading up on the Mothman.  He didn't realize that Point Pleasant West Virginia was an easy day trip to take from our area.

AND, I feel like I just find myself in this little town a lot.  I took another friend to visit last year.

We drove through Gallipolis first.  We then made our way on to Point Pleasant.  We did all of the great Mothman stuff.  Once you park downtown, everything you will want to see is within a short walking distance.  Also, I know there are lots of people who have been here for the Mothman Festival (which IS a lot of fun!) but this town is a great place to visit on a non-Festival day.  In fact, to really take in the vibe of Point Pleasant, I think you need to go on a regular day.

The Mothman statue right in the middle of everything is a must see.
 I took my friend down by the river, and we went to the easy to miss monument where the Silver Bridge collapsed.

From there, we walked over to the Grind Coffee House.  I really love this very pleasant cozy little place, and I especially look forward to a cup of coffee from there on my visits.  There are some very friendly ladies there always running the place.

I noticed that they didn't have any bags of their Mothman Coffee available.  I mentioned this and they put a couple together for me.

They didn't have any of their Mothman cookies either.  They said that, as soon as they put them out, they were purchased.

We walked around town a bit.  There is the very nice antique shop nearby that always has some interesting things.  There is a newer boutique shop too that is very nice.

We went to the Mothman Museum too, which is always impressive.  They are now charging $3.50 to get in, which I think is a bargain.  I am sure they make most of their money from the gift shop though.  Everyone needs a t-shirt.... and a sticker.. and a book.. and a plush Mothman.

The museum has mostly been unchanged over the years, though they now have the counter, seats, signs and other items from the old Harris' Steak House.  It is a very appropriate place for these relics.

Before leaving town, my friend and I went down by the theater, seeing the other monument to the Silver Bridge Collapse on the other side of the flood wall.  There is a great mural painted there showing where the bridge was.

Before we left the area, I did take my friend out to the area with the igloos.  This is a must see when it comes to the Mothman legend, but the area gets creepier all the time.









No comments: