Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Sunday, December 29, 2019

Owensboro Towne Square Mall at Christmas

 I stopped by the Owensboro Towne Square Mall right after Christmas this year.  It's no secret that the old mall is not the thriving place I remember from growing up in the 80 and 90s.....

Still, there are some shops there with some life.  They still have some impressive anchor stores that other malls have lost.  For what its worth, I thought the stores that are still there were giving great services and all of the shops had friendly staff.

I hated to see that "The Spots" second location that was opened here some time ago was gone.  The cool little record shop had closed its doors too.

Some local friends told me that the mall has been sold again....  and the new buyers are gong to try to get the mall going again.  I have heard that story before, but hopefully they can pull it off.

It was nice just walking around and seeing the Christmas decorations.  Christmas songs were played over the speakers.  The center of the mall looked very cute.  I do miss the old fountain though.

When I was in high school, we did a production of Charlotte's Web, and I remember the drama crew going out to the mall, and doing a short segment of the play by the fountain, hoping to drum up interest in our upcoming performance.

When I attended the nearby Burns Middle School, some Fridays after school my late cousin Matt and I would walk from school to the mall.

It was a nice walk, and a lot of fun.  We would get to the mall and play a few games in the arcade.  I remember that we would often get pizza at a pizza place that only lasted a year or so.  I want to say the place was called Luigi's.  There was a really nice guy who ran the place and I think it was the first pizza place I remember where a wood fire oven was used.  My memory could be fuzzy on that one though.

When I find myself in Owensboro, I really like going here for nostalgia's sake.  Hopefully the new owners can get locals to come back for more than just nostalgia.







No comments: