Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Di Piero's Sicilian Restaurant Springfield, Illinois



 I found a flyer in Springfield advertising Di Piero's Sicilian Restaurant and we decided to check it out.

I wanted to go because of a direct Lincoln connection, noted on the flyer.  According to it, the site that is now Di Piero's used to be Watson Saloon.  It was here that Honest Abe celebrated his election as President!  The flyer gives a very sweet story of Abe coming in and the local ladies greeting him with song.

Thats pretty cool.  AND, it makes the thrill of dining at Di Piero's kind of epic.  I mean, that Lincoln connection is a big deal.  If you are visiting Springfield, you want to take in all of the Lincoln history you can.

We had a great, friendly and funny waitress named Emma that was just perfect.  She made suggestions, kept our glasses full, and was just over all fabulous.

I always keep my flash off, so my photos do not do justice to the meal we had, but it was perfect.  My wife had their Chicken Parmagiana which I sampled and loved.  I had a soup and salad combo.  I can't remember the exact soup I had right now but it was one of the best soups ever.  It was meaty and really filled me up.

We shared a very nice dessert too (check out that photo!)

Emma corrected us (playfully) when we incorrectly called the place Italian.  It is Sicilian.  But I am definitely going to say that we had one of the best Sicilian/Italian meals ever here.  Even if Di Piero's didn't have the historic Lincoln connection, I would go back for the food.

The restaurant is dark and cozy.  There is some amazing history to the location.  AND their food is exceptional.

We saw a lot of locals here, but I am not sure if the general traveler is in on this secret.  I know that I am looking forward to another trip to Springfield and I am sure that, next time, we will stop here again.  Di Piero's gets my highest recommendation.






No comments: