Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Thursday, September 17, 2020

Berlin Ohio

When visiting the Amish area of Ohio, we have found that Berlin has a great street walking/shopping area.  Lots to see in a very close area.

We spent a few hours here on our recent trip.

After we parked by the huge antique mall, we went by a very nice young Amish lady selling baskets and aprons!  We wanted to get a nice apron for a friend.  She had some colorful ones and we found exactly what we wanted.  We had to pick up a basket made and signed by a young Amish person too.  Those are big in this area.

I'm guessing the young lady's brother was nearby.  He looked to be maybe 5ish.  He had some state name key chains that the lady was making for sale.

I asked him if he had Kentucky and he looked at me kind of confused.  So, I took a Kentucky keychain, gave him a few dollars and thanked him.  He again looked at me oddly.  As I walked off, my wife reminded me that many of the Amish speak Dutch in their homes, and they don't learn English until they get to school.  I was literally speaking to the young man in a foreign language.

We walked on.  There is a great shop here that sells ice cream and they have various bottled sodas.  I noticed that they had our Kentucky favorite, Ale-8 among others!

ANOTHER great shop I like here is Catalpa Trading Company.  In some ways, it is a very standard novelty shop.  BUT, they have a focus on magic.  I walked in here the first time a few years ago, and the owner/magician did a few tricks and told some jokes.  The man is hysterical.  Well, I found out that they have now opened a theater attached to the shop and he does do actual half hour magic shows!








No comments: