Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Friday, November 10, 2023

Kentucky Book Festival at Joseph Beth in Lexington 10/21/2023

I love books, and I really enjoy getting books signed by the author when I can.  

Each year, there is the "Kentucky Book Festival" in my neck of the woods.  Unfortunately, I have been busy or somewhere else the last few years that they have had it.

I got to go this year though, and I had a great time meeting with several authors!

They have it as Joseph Beth, and I love that place.  Having the authors sectioned off did make the place a bit crowded, but it was nice seeing so many people at the legendary bookstore.

I had reviewed the list of authors and I knew who I wanted to find.  I was given a map showing where each writer was, so it was easy to find whoever you were looking for.

I forgot to get a picture of him, but the first person I stopped to see was fellow Berea grad Keven McQueen.  Keven has written a ton of books on general weirdness in and out of the Bluegrass State.  I have read several of his books, and I picked up a copy of "Bizarre Bluegrass" on this day.  Not to give anything away, but there is a chapter where Keven talks about writing a letter in the 80s to Charles Manson.  Manson DID write back.

Next to Kevin was Bryan S. Bush who wrote a book that I appreciated, "Butcher Burbridge."  Bryan has also written several other books mostly relating to this area, and the Civil War.

I stopped by another author's table that I have read a lot before, Stuart W. Sanders.  Stuart is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to the Civil War, and other topics.  I picked up his, "The Battle of Mill Springs Kentucky" when I saw him.

I also had a nice conversation with him about touring battlefields in and out of Kentucky.

Amrita Chakrabarti Myers was an author not originally on my radar, until I read a review of her new book, "The Vice President's Black Wife" about Julia Chinn, the wife of Richard Johnson, Van Buren's VP.  We stopped by and picked up a signed copy from her.  She was very friendly and talkative and I am excited about reading this one.

Right beside Amrita was former Kentucky Governor Paul Patton!  I had to pick up a signed copy of his book.  He was very friendly and seemed happy to be there.

His co-author, Jeffrey Suchanek was a very nice fellow too, and he noticed that I was wearing a Roberto Clemente baseball cap!  We ended up chatting for a while about the Puerto Rican baseball legend.

Another connection was made relating to my Clemente cap before we left the event.  Author Jamie H. Vaught also noticed my hat, and told me that he met the mad when he was a child!

Vaught has written several books covering UK basketball.  He was a very friendly and entertaining fellow, and he included a chapter on Roberto Clemente in one of his books!








 

No comments: