Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Frankfort Kentucky- Kentucky Vietnam Veterans Memorial

Frankfort is a bit of an underrated treasure. There is a lot going on there, and I think many people really aren't aware of it.

I remember being in elementary school and coloring a picture or the floral clock. I really thought, not really knowing much about it, that there must be visitors there around the clock.

I figured the state capital must always be busy. There must be a ton of traffic all over the area!

Well, if you have been to the capital, you know that my young assumptions were wrong. Totally wrong. The city is as fast paced as a turtle.

Thats OK though. Frankly, I enjoy things moving a little slower, and being a bit more casual. In Frankfort, it is easy to access the landmarks, and to get a good view of everything. Oh, and there is no reason to concern yourself with traffic.

On a visit recently, my dad, a Vietnam veteran, asked that we visit the Kentucky Vietnam Veterans Memorial. Check out their site:

http://www.kyvietnammemorial.net

The Memorial is a large sundial. There are 1100 names of Kentuckians who sacrificed everything serving their country. The sundial is designed so that the shadow from the dial touches the name of the soldier on the anniversary of his death. When I was there, I did a rubbing of the name of one of my dad's best friends, as I am named after him.

Down the road a bit from the Memorial is a very nice nature preserve too! Most might pass this up on their way to the Louisville Zoo, but it is sure worth a stop, as it has a less exotic, more regional feel than the zoo.








No comments: