Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg



A couple of times a year now, we seem to be making our way down to the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area.

I really love doing all of the stuff surrounding Gatlinburg (Knoxville, the Great Smoky Mountains, and a spectacular AA baseball park are all very close by).  This creates a bit of a problem though.  I can never go down to this area for a weekend and do everything that I want to do!


I do try to drive and walk the main areas when I go down.  I like looking at the new businesses that pop up ever so often.

The one thing that I don't care for in Gatlinburg are the time share salesmen.  These guys are aggressive.  It is the kind of thing that makes you think twice about walking around the area.

Still, I think most people ignore them and keep walking.

I do love how colorful the area is, and I do appreciate the cheesiness of it all.


On this trip I noticed that the moonshine businesses have really moved in.  It seems like not too long ago there was just one or two, but there are several now.  One of the new moonshine spots was very bland.  They had their product, and they had the standard shirts and other dull items with the name of the company very unimaginatively printed on them.  I was a little let down to see some less than average businesses on the strip this time.

There are some places that I totally love here too.  I have mentioned Cooter's Place before, and I still love it.  Any fan of the Duke's from 80s TV (or from reruns now) will love this spot.  I have to duck in every time I can.  I love seeing the photos from the show and the old toys.





2 comments:

Jacob said...

Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge are absolutely wonderful. One of the best concentrations of tourist traps I have ever found. What makes it better is that it always seems like there is something new to see.

As for the Moonshine, there has been a ridiculous explosion after they changed the laws to essentially make moonshine legal. It all tastes like gasoline, so the charm is all in the history.

I imagine that the bottom will fall out of this industry very soon. One of the things that made moonshine appealing was the fact that it was illegal and hard to find.

jimerado said...

Oh yes, I love the area and all of its natural beauty AND all of its artificial novelty.

Yeah, I remember the first time we went down there and we saw signs advertising moonshine. It was kind of exciting and very unique.

Now, there are several people selling it and the novelty has warn off.