Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Friday, January 30, 2015

The Life and Death of Floyd Collins by Homer Collins and John L. Lehrberger

I had a conversation at a coffee shop the other day with a professor from a local college.  He saw that I was reading this book, and he asked me who Floyd Collins was.  I was a bit amazed that a Kentucky professor did not know about Floyd!  I mean, I think that his face belongs on the fictitious Kentucky Mt. Rushmore with Abe and Harlan.  The professor gets a pass though, he came here recently from out west.

I love Floyd and his story though.  The guy was amazing, crawling around caves (which often were really just very small holes under ground), doing what he did.  The man had no fear.

This very easy to read book pretty much involves his brother telling about Floyd and his adventures, including his legendary LAST adventure.

"The Life and Death of Floyd Collins" offers a lot to think about.  Floyd would literally spend DAYS at a time exploring.  As a kid, and as an adult, he was all over the underground.  I loved reading about a young Floyd selling relics he found in caves, such as moccasins!  I enjoyed hearing about a brief feud he had with a mountain Lion also. 

Floyd's need to explore and find new caves was unparalleled.  I can't even conceive of a person exploring the way he did.  It is exciting to think that he probably explored MANY passages that are now forgotten.

I told the professor about Floyd Collins and his many discoveries underground.  I told him about the circus atmosphere surrounding his days trapped in Sand Cave, and the efforts made to rescue him.  Any reader interested in Kentucky caves, exciting adventures, and scary situations (being trapped the way he was in Sand Cave gives me nightmares) should look no further than this book.

For more on Floyd Collins, see my previous posts here, and here.  Also, check out my review of the other great book on Floyd Collins, Trapped!

2 comments:

Jacob said...

I definitely need to learn more about Floyd Collins, the idea that he crawled through caves alone without even letting people know is completely insane. They had a stage show about him here, but I didn't get a chance to see it.

jimerado said...

Man, I would love to see the play..... This is a great story begging for the major motion picture treatment.