Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Thursday, December 21, 2017

New York City 1993

I know I have mentioned it here before..... but back in the 90s you would take a trip somewhere and buy a couple of disposable cameras.  That was good for about 50 pictures.  You were good to go.  Nowadays, I usually take well over 1000 photos on my phone on a long roadtrip.

AND, way back then, you had more to worry about with your pictures.  You really had to carefully make sure you were getting that one perfect photo.  You couldn't take 20 pictures of the same thing, and then look at them immediately on your phone or camera like you can now.  Even then, you couldn't be sure that you got a good photo.

THEN, you had to take your photos somewhere to get developed.  That was a pain, but man was it exciting!  It was so much fun getting your pictures back and seeing how they turned out!

Well, here are some photos from my 1993 trip to New York City- in all of their glorious inferiority.

I am going through a box of my old photos and trying to scan them all in.  I may have more later.

So, here is a brief explanation of the pics-

The top ten photos are all from the USS Intrepid.  Obviously way before they got the space shuttle.  This was a fun place to explore, and I thought the stealth bombers were very cool.  Please note my thumb screwing up a couple of the pictures.  I am not proud of this.

The next few photos are pretty random Time Square ones.  Always cool seeing those pics.  There are a couple of bad ones I took in front of the Harley Davidson Café one evening.  I do remember having a nice meal there.  I also remember seeing a guy sleeping on the side walk as a limo dropped off models at the same time as I ate my burger.  You had the homeless and the very privileged right beside each other.

Down a bit are a couple of pictures outside of Grand Central Station.  Then, there are a couple of photos from my hotel room at the Grand Hyatt.

I took a couple of picture of the clock face at FAO Schwartz.

The last couple of photos are of the Statue of Liberty from a distance.

When I came across these older photos, I was looking hard, hoping that I may have caught the Twin Towers or something else cool somewhere in the skyline, but I didn't. 

I wouldn't go back to New York City for more than a couple of decades after this (other than switching planes a couple of times).  I remember thinking that it was rough, and intimidating at the time (and, I was younger and more naïve).




No comments: